Sunday, July 12, 2020

Into the Bismarck Mountains



Saturday,  July 12, 2014

Father Nicholas called us first thing in the morning.  He was all ready to set out on foot over the mountains to take us to our destination in the Simbai Valley.
 
VJ DSCF0710
 
His wife was also ready.  Before leaving, she handed out the sweets we had brought along at the suggestion of Bishop Nathan.

1244
1248
 
The first part of the trip was promising.  We had not actually come to the end of the vehicular road,  but after the previous day of bouncing about in the PMV, I was, at first, happy to be on my own two feet. We were heading north toward the ridge that separates the Jimi Valley from the Simbai Valley.

 

WTYSL 012A4349 
 
Occasionally a pickup truck would pass by.  Evidence of the importance of getting the local coffee crop out to market.
 
WTYSL 0I2A4403

We forded a number of streams.  Though the water was barely ankle deep, I did not trust the slippery stones.  Father Nicholas's wife noticed my hesitancy. The soles of my fancy sport shoes were not as adherent as her bare feet.  She wasted no time in offering me supporting hands and pointing out the firmest stepping stones.

VJ DSCF0721

VJ DSCF0722

VJ DSCF0723


After several dips, twists and rises, the road flattened out again.  
 

VJ DSCF0713

We walked by gardens and, looking off between the trees over the downhill edge of the road, we spotted the gardens and hamlets on opposite slopes.



1250


VJ DSCF0724


The last stretch of road up to Dega village was steep and we were thoroughly hot and tired when we arrived.

 

As at our arrival in Kwima, we were enthusiastically greeted, this time with a hymn and good-natured laughter as villagers at the ritual gate showered us with chilly drops of water and marigold petals.

WTYSL 0I2A4425

 WTYSL 0I2A4430

WTYSL 0I2A4558
v
WTYSL 012A4432

 

We were shown to the schoolhouse where Father Nicholas, who had gone on ahead while we were being greeted, was already preparing refreshments.

VJ DSCF0739
VJ DSCF0732

VJ DSCF0737



VJ DSCF0744

After everyone had eaten, Father Nicholas told us it been decided that, given our slow walking pace, we would not, after all, be proceeding to the Simbai Valley that afternoon. Instead, we were invited to settle ourselves in the school house for the night. We would set out again the next morning.  As impatient as I was to get to the other side of the Bismarcks, I certainly had to concur that we couldn't risk getting caught on the trail by nightfall.  

The unexpected interruption in our trek gave the people a chance to introduce us to their village.


Beyond the school house, the weekly Saturday market was in full swing around the edges of two simultaneous basketball games - one for men, one for women.

WTYSL 0I2A4501

WTYSL 0I2A4567

I was invited to visit an Anglican shrine at the periphery of the village.  

VJ DSCF0729




<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>





No comments:

Post a Comment