Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fifty Years Ago Today - The beloved outsider




Tuesday, November 5, 1963





Walking along the path through Koinambe, Marek and I came across Maia and several of the smaller boys.  They leaped into his arms - simultaneously joyous and teasing. 



 He put them down gently.


Nearby women chuckled and the smaller children looked on.  Were they envious?



























Rungwa, Maia's little sister, turned to look at me as I was taking one of the photos.

We had been living in their area for eight months, so she was not longer afraid or shy. But the nearest she came in direct interaction was the big smile she gave me.


<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>





1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about Marek's obv bond w the little boys. Did he work at that or was it more organic? Did any of the little girls jump up to be held like that or was it discouraged by the clan?

    ReplyDelete