Thursday, October 10, 2013

Now



In September, as I was going through my photos and reliving my memories of Papua New Guinea fifty years ago, I became more aware of my life in Europe today.  Running water, boughten clothes, central heating, car, plenty of books and food available in stores - all taken for granted since I was born.

My life has expanded to include new things. Computer (since 1985). Internet (since 1992). Cellphones by the rest of my family though I remain a hold-out (since 1998).

The accelerating pace of the new impresses me, though I live my daily life as much as possible in its margins.  My landscape is unmarred by skyscrapers. Overnight, wild boars can root out a nicely laid path through the woods. I cut the autumn chill in the house by building a fire in the fireplace with wind-fallen branches from the surrounding oaks. I can eat apples, chard, figs, zucchinis grown locally.



Yet the concept and reality of globalization is omnipresent.  I appreciate my colleagues who diligently pursue research around the world  -  who are "our eyes and ears" and narrate the stories we all need to know as life moves on.

Here are my recent favorites:





<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

No comments:

Post a Comment